Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The truth behind Foster Care

Foster Care.... I think it's safe to say most have heard of it, but how many people actually understand the process? How many have a warped view of the system? How many people have wanted to get involved either by becoming a foster parent or volunteering their time or resources? How many people grasp the severity and shortage of good foster homes?

There is a lot of bad rap out there regarding foster care and I would like to help bring to light the greatness instead. Now I am far from an expert and still in the beginning stages myself, but have a very strong passion for foster care and feel the Lord has placed it on my heart. I hope to inspire others to consider fostering, adopting, donating or even volunteering their time for this great cause.

There are of course so many different reasons why people chose to foster or adopt a child(ren). Be it infertility, a big heart or simply wanting to add to your family while helping a child without one at the same time. I know some of you might also be thinking "for the money", but that is one of the misconceptions I would like to talk about later. There are people out their abusing the system, as with any others, but it really isn't as glamorous or profitable as some may think. Yes, you get a stipend when you foster or adopt and yes you get more financial assistance when you agree to care for a child with disabilities or medical conditions, but let me tell you that it simply is NOT enough to cover every day expenses alone. Foster families WILL be spending some of their own money to care for these kids. I will go into more detail on that later.

I will end this blog entry here for now so as not to completely bore or scare away any potential readers :) Future posts will consist of my family’s personal journey becoming a licensed Foster Home, foster care facts, resources and anything else that may be helpful for others to better understand the foster care system. I will also go over the steps to take to start the process yourself. I will of course throw in odd ball topics every now and then I'm sure :) Until then, thanks for stopping by and please share this blog with others! I want to get the word out and help as many kids find a loving home as possible, even if only temporary. All it takes is one positive role model to change the course of these kids’ lives. Show them that they are in fact loved, wanted, needed and cherished. We are all Gods children and he has a plan for each and every one of us. You may be surprised at just how much these kids can and will touch your lives as well!

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment